Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Changes for the New Year



Well, we survived our first holiday season in our new location.

In some ways, the new spot on Erie Blvd is better - it's more visable and much easier access...WAY better for our customers. Behind the scenes, it was not so good. Our old space was wide open - we could divide it up however we wanted and change it as our needs changed. This building is split up into rooms, which turned out to a bigger issue than I had anticipated, even though we have more square footage. Being super-busy will amplify everything you are doing wrong - and we spent a lot of time running around in circles this year. It became very obvious that we needed to make some adjustments.

We made a minor change in the showroom to make it flow better, and some major ones in our workspace - we moved our production area into a different room, removed some doors, and came up with a better system for handling our shipping and receiving. I also acquired my new favorite toy - a shopping cart! Not for our customers (we're not that kind of store), but for us.

Back when she started with us, Laura suggested a shopping cart for collecting all the stuff that go into the baskets. I lost track of the idea until this Christmas when my boyfriend brought it up again after watching me take 10 trips into the inventory room just to collect everything I needed to make something. I found a company that would sell just one - and it arrived last week. I LOVE IT!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Love the idea...and the size is just right!

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home